2013 General Scholarship Guidelines
Since 1971, The Japanese American Association of New York, Inc. has awarded scholarships to graduating high school students of Japanese descent living in the tri-state area who are applying to United States institutions of higher learning.
In the past, the scholarships generally range from $1,000.00 to $6,000.00 and depending on the year, one round-trip ticket between New York and Japan. (See below). In 2013 there be a new $10,000 Nishimiya award. All Nippon Airways is the official sponsor and providing two economy class roundtrip tickets to be awarded to certain scholarship awardees.
The JAA Scholarship Committee will review the applications, and the awards will be presented at the Annual Scholarship Dinner which is scheduled to be held on Thursday, June 6, 2013 at the Harvard Club in Manhattan. The keynote speaker is Dr. George R. Packard, President of the United States - Japan Foundation.
- A completed application form with one passport size photo.
- A double-spaced 500 word maximum essay on either of the following topics:
- Do you consider yourself to be Japanese, Japanese-American, or Asian-American? How does your view influence how you will be involved in the Japanese-American community in the future?
- What role do you see Japan playing in the future in the world, and specifically how do you see yourself, as a person of Japanese descent, playing a role in this future?
- Your latest school transcript AND a copy of SAT or ACT scores.
- A letter of recommendation from your school counselor or teacher.
- Membership to JAA. If no one in your family is a member of JAA, a membership form is available at www.jaany.org . Please call the JAA office for any questions.
- You must attend a United States college in the fall of 2013.
Please submit your application through our online form.
Or you can download the PDF and submit to:
JAA Scholarship Committee
Japanese American Association of New York, Inc.
15 West 44th Street, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10036
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications may be sent via E-mail/FAX. However, letters of recommendation and transcripts, if sent electronically, must be sent from the issuer (not student applicant) and followed by original signed/stamped copies by mail.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
All Applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
If you have any questions, please call us at 212-840-6942.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 13, 2013.
The JAA reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures for this scholarship program and make changes at any time.
Satoru Murase, Chairperson of JAA SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
Past Awards (2012)
- Bingham McCutchen Murase Scholarship
($6000 plus NY-Tokyo roundtrip economy ticket)
- Dr. Soji Tomikawa Scholarship ($5,000)
- Mitsui USA Foundation Scholarship ($3,500)
- Orient Corp. of America Scholarship ($3,500)
- Miyoko & John Davey Scholarship ($3,000)
- Hartman-Sakazume Scholarship ($3,000)
- Toyota Motor North America Scholarship ($2,500)
- TV Japan Scholarship ($2,000)
- JAA Special Scholarship ($2,000)